Categorization and sorting
Over the past month I have chewed through all of the uncategorized pages and given them a category whether it be a real category or filed under Category:Requires Updating through the update tag, etc. Now that everything has been somewhat categorized, I've started looking at the category structure itself and am starting to realize that various sections has good structure, others don't, and for the most part there isn't any correlation to each other or "super tree" so to speak which shows how all of the categories in the wiki are put together.
- Example of some good category structure: Category:Order of Battle
- Example of some not so good category structure: Category:Ship Classes (one of mine, none the less)
Plan of Attack
- Decide upon what the upper level or over-arching categories should be
- Map out some of the current category structure in place
- Start matching up various categories and subcategories together
- Map out a top-to-bottom category tree
- Fix those categories and pages which need to be edited to fit to category tree
See proposals at Talk:Main Page.
I'm not sure if categories IC and OOC would be effective or possibly even worthwhile categories if a large number of pages have both elements to them. The best bet for those pages may be to have a discernable IC/OOC split within the page itself (headings or such) while leave categorization to more of a location or unit grouping.
Another area where there may be a lot of overlap and double categorization would be things like units and squadrons. Dragon Squadron for example could be categorized as: Squadron, VSG, RgF, etc. as it does fit in all of those categories.
Proposed Tree: (original idea)
Built so far: (working idea)